[LRFlex] Re: Indication on the packs

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:48:03 +0000

Hi Steven

next time I see a rolleiflex in a shop, I'll ask fo a look. Such a decoration cannot be ignored!

Regards.
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Steven Rosenthal" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Indication on  the packs
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:59:46 -0700

Hi Bille. Did you ever see the old Rolleiflex or Rolleicord? They have and
absolutely charming  graphic on the back, on a nice enamelled metal plate
with the full range of settings such as the ones you saw in your film
package, with wonderful graphics of happy people vacationing, skiing,
lounging under beach umbrellas, racing sailboats etc. on it showing at a
glance how to set your camera. Back in those decades before color film,
many tens of thousands of persons used such guides with satisfactory
results....

Here in the US this is called the sunny-16 rule, i.e. at f/16 at 1/100 (or
1/125 on modern cameras) with ISO 100 film, you will have close to perfect
exposures of bright sunny scenes with a good amount of sky. I generally keep
my IIIf set to f/11 when just around town for street scenes in good strong
California daylight... less sky, or even f/8 as the day goes on. Cloudy sky
or later/early AM, f/5.6. It is fun being your own human exposure meter.
If you are at a beach or snow of course you must go up to f/22. Of course
you need to calibrate it to your darkroom style, etc. with a test roll or
so, till you know what to choose.

If you use a film like Ilford FP4+ which has close to a two stop latitude
you will still get wonderful exposures even in those cases where it is hard
to determine; AgfaPan 100 is pretty good, too. I generally shoot this way
using old Leicas and other manual cameras and get very usable exposures and
it becomes very natural. OF course this situation changes greatly exposing
color films, and reversal (slide) films in particular where a half stop or
better accuracy is demanded... either use a meter or bracket exposures to be
sure...

Yours, S

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 12:56 AM Subject: [LRFlex] Indication on the packs

> Andy.
>
> Recently, I looked into a Kodak pack. It was giving values for exposure
and
> I asked my photog who was using those informations.
>
> He related me his army days when he was the official photog of an officer.
> Mostly B&W and with a SRT Minolta that had no light cell.
> He said that after a while he was pretty good in evaluating the light. Of
> course he was printing on paper by himself.
>
> Myself, I never tried. Too lazy probably. But evaluating the light is a
good
> concept to interprate the returned value of the light cell.
>
> Regards.
> ---------------------------------
> Xavier F. BILLE
> Maisons-Alfort - France.
>

> >From: "andy Wagner" <yxandy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [LRFlex] Re: R8/9 - scary-looking or not?
> >Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:23:40 -0500
> >
> >Okay let's really age ourselves. Who remembers when "The Great Yellow
> >Father" used to package the film data sheet with each roll of film. On
the
> >sheet we could find all sorts of nifty info including an exposure guide
> >that went from overcast to sunny and the suggested shutter speed and
> >F-stops. As I recall when I was working with my Agfa 35 (scale focusing,
No