[LRFlex] Re: Indication on the packs

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:49:04 -0700

I liken this skill to using a sliderule vs a calculator. I tell my students that "back in the day", you had to be number aware. A slide rule only confirmed what you thought the answer was anyway. It only told you the significant figure and you had to figure out where the decimal point went (shudder from the class). That being said, I don't think I would like to use a slide rule anymore, though I do keep one in each vehicle for calculating gas milage......

Aram

PS. I also told them back in the cold war days that if and when the big one goes off and most computers and calculators are fried by EMP, anyone who knew how to use a slide rule would rule the world....

From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Indication on  the packs
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:56:22 +0000

Andy.

Recently, I looked into a Kodak pack. It was giving values for exposure and I asked my photog who was using those informations.

He related me his army days when he was the official photog of an officer. Mostly B&W and with a SRT Minolta that had no light cell.
He said that after a while he was pretty good in evaluating the light. Of course he was printing on paper by himself.

Myself, I never tried. Too lazy probably. But evaluating the light is a good concept to interprate the returned value of the light cell.

Regards.
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "andy Wagner" <yxandy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: R8/9 - scary-looking or not?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:23:40 -0500

Okay let's really age ourselves. Who remembers when "The Great Yellow Father" used to package the film data sheet with each roll of film. On the sheet we could find all sorts of nifty info including an exposure guide that went from overcast to sunny and the suggested shutter speed and F-stops. As I recall when I was working with my Agfa 35 (scale focusing, No light meter,) I did get pretty decent exposure ( even with K-25) and good pictures.

From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:50:54 -0700

on 10/21/04 1:46 AM, Noel Yates at noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In fact most of us in this group could probably do without
> light meters. There would be the odd error but experience would teach.

It's a frightening thought at first but with negative film it's entirely
manageable. Last spring I used a battered SL with no meter for some family
snaps at the county fair, using ISO 400 (or for us old farts, that's ASA
400) color neg film. I cheated once in an indoor pavilion but otherwise it
was all guesstimated exposure based on Sunny 16. Everything was printable!!
There were some that were not optimum but they were all printable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Regards