[LRflex] Re: IMG: three on the wing

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:50:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 04/07/2007, you wrote:
>>This morning I was practicing flight shots; the second and third are
>>cropped significantly.  technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560 f/6.8 on
>>shoulder stock. All comments welcome.
>>
>>Double-crested Cormorant:
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phalacrocoracidae/dcco00.html
>>
>>Cliff Swallow:
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/hirundinidae/clsw01.html
>>
>>White-throated Swift:
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/apodidae/wtsw00.html
>

>Just knowing how difficult it is, I can only say...  "INCREDIBLE!"

Thanks for all the comments.  Here's a bit more technical detail:

these three photos were made from a bridge over the American River here in
Sacramento County.  the swalows and swifts build nests under the bridge so
they're constantly flying nearby.  The Cormorants are often nearby because the
bridge is a few meters upstream from a fish hatchery.  I chose to keep the
camera on ISO 400 and the lens at f/6.8 so I could use a fast shutter speed
(1/4000 sec in this case).  I set the metering mode on manual because the
backgrounds were highly variable: sky, trees, river, hatchery buildings.  as
long as the birds were in sunlight 1/4000 sec was perfect.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com