[LRflex] Re: IMG Green Heron (Andy Wagner)

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:34:23 +0200

But what a wonderful stamp it is, a large one, with plenty of details, and where the bird doesn't look stupid for a change, or voracious, or ...

Excellent - get that 90 out more often Bob.
phx

bob palmieri wrote:

Andy -

Thanks for looking into this snap.

Looking over some digests from the recent past, your captive eagle reminded me of a very similar experience I had with the birds on the far shore being too distant and going after a captive model - my wife's comment can be seen under the shot:

http://www.pbase.com/image/94372933

However, it was a good opportunity to pull the under-utilized 1st version 90mm Elmarit out of the dark recesses of the bag...

Bob Palmieri

On May 20, 2008, at 1:12 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

Leica Reflex Forum Digest
+------------------------+------------------------------------
leicareflex Digest    Mon, 19 May 2008    Volume: 05  Issue: 138

In This Issue:
        [LRflex] Re: IMG Green Heron
        [LRflex] Re: IMG Green Heron
        [LRflex] IMAGES: A little modern art and a lot of orchids
        [LRflex] Re: IMAGES: A little modern art and a lot of orchid
        [LRflex] Re: Fridzillogic Flower
        [LRflex] Re: Fridzillogic Flower
        [LRflex] on being a patient...
        [LRflex] Re: on being a patient...
        [LRflex] Re: on being a patient...
        [LRflex] Re: six missing teeth...
        [LRflex] Re: concern...
        [LRflex] Re: on being a patient...
        [LRflex] Re: he's back...
        [LRflex] Dimitri
        [LRflex] Re: Dimitri
        [LRflex] Re: concern...
        [LRflex] Re: Dimitri
        [LRflex] Re: on being a patient...
        [LRflex] Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "frie
        [LRflex] Re: Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "
        [LRflex] Re: Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "
        [LRflex] Re: Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "
        [LRflex] Re: Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "
        [LRflex] IMG: I may
        [LRflex] Re: Some new pics
        [LRflex] Re: IMG: Green Heron
        [LRflex] Re: six missing teeth...
        [LRflex] Re: Aliens
        [LRflex] Re: he's back...
        [LRflex] Re: IMG Green Heron
        [LRflex] Re: IMG: I may
        [LRflex] a bad hair day...
        [LRflex] Re: a bad hair day...
        [LRflex] playing with death
        [LRflex] Recent Birdsnaps
        [LRflex] Re: Recent Birdsnaps
        [LRflex] Re: a bad hair day...

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:45:37 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: IMG Green Heron

eh, eh! Nice shots and very informative too.
Thanks for sharing both knowledge and beutiful sightings.
phx

bob palmieri wrote:

On May 18, 2008, Phillipe Amard wrote:

Well Doug, the environment makes it had for me to see why it is called

green, but it is a very good photo all the same.

Does the bird's plummage really look green in nature?

wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Last sunday morning:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/ardeidae/grhe05.html

Doug replied:

The bird's back has a has a greenish irridescence in the right
light.  Thanks for looking and commenting.

Phillipe -

This blue heron - green heron thing has been known to elude me also.
 I've taken to waiting for the birds to preen out feathers, but in  the
end it's the body shape that usually makes the distinction for me.
 Here's a preened green from a coupla seasons back:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/70497744

And here's a "blue" from a coupla weeks ago:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/96821412

Not really very blue, is he??

Bob Palmieri

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:48:24 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>

Thanks Doug - the SL really did a good job in your hands.
And I didn't know about "cormorans" so much at the beginning of last
month LoL
Learning curse is now set at 255 in my raw brains..
Thanks for sharing it all.
phx

bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This blue heron - green heron thing has been known to elude me also.
I've taken to waiting for the birds to preen out feathers, but in  the
end it's the body shape that usually makes the distinction for me.
Here's a preened green from a coupla seasons back:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/70497744

And here's a "blue" from a coupla weeks ago:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/96821412

Not really very blue, is he??

To further confuse things here's a Little Blue Heron:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/ardeidae/lbhe01.html

However the above photo is of an immature bird, here's the adult:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/ardeidae/lbhe00.html

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:58:20 +0200
From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] IMAGES: A little modern art and a lot of orchids

Visitiors form the UK and Virginia over the weekend so we went the the=20
Herrenh=E4user Gardens here in Hannover.
These are a few shots exported directly from Lightroom.

The first station of the tour was the Niki de St Phalle Grotto, the=20
artist, who died recently, had close connections to Hannover:

These two ladies were outside, looking in at their husbands perusing the =

vaguely erotic sculptures
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7711.jpg.html

Don't really like the stuff Niki de St Phalle did, but this is  typical:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7701.jpg.html

The light inside is amazing:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7703.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7709.jpg.html

More of these when I get around to taking a closer look at the rest and=20
donig some post-processing.

Next stop - the 3 greenhouses:

The Orchid House - Hannover is world famous for breeding orchids (and=20 the place where African Violets were first propagated for the commercial =

market):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7745.jpg.html

Not an orchid, but it was in the same greenhouse - very alien-looking
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7735.jpg.html

Some have quite dreary colours, but fascinating forms
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7749.jpg.html

Technical comparison:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7751.jpg.html =
  =20
Shot with a Yashica 2.8/55mm Macro lens at f2.8
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7752.jpg.html =
  =20
Shot with a CZ 1.4/85mm at f 1.4

Personally I prefer the tiny and delicate orchids, but this was quite=20
spectacular in its own way - helped out with a little flash
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7755.jpg.html

These tiny, spidery ones are my favourites:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7757.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7759.jpg.html

The classic Lady's Slipper orchid :
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7764.jpg.html

In the Tropical House
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7782.jpg.html

The CZ 85mm again in the Tropical House
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ CRW_0024.jpg.html

Looks strange, has flowers as big as dinner plates and stinks
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/CRW_0026- Edit.jpg.h=
tml

The Cactus House:
Flowering Opuntia
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7771.jpg.html

Possibly an Opuntia too
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7785.jpg.html

More cactus flowers
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ CRW_0031.jpg.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:10:19 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: IMAGES: A little modern art and a lot of orchids

Very nice series Douglas

I like this one best : looks like Gaudi revisited in colour.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7703.jpg.html>

I also like the vivid colours of some of the flowers there (yellow
orange one is wow).

Good work, really.
I enjoyed my break thanks to you :-)
Grüsse
Phx

Douglas Sharp wrote:

Visitiors form the UK and Virginia over the weekend so we went the  the
Herrenhäuser Gardens here in Hannover.
These are a few shots exported directly from Lightroom.

The first station of the tour was the Niki de St Phalle Grotto, the
artist, who died recently, had close connections to Hannover:

These two ladies were outside, looking in at their husbands perusing
the vaguely erotic sculptures
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7711.jpg.html

Don't really like the stuff Niki de St Phalle did, but this is typical: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7701.jpg.html

The light inside is amazing:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7703.jpg.html http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/ _MG_7709.jpg.html

More of these when I get around to taking a closer look at the rest
and donig some post-processing.

From: "AramLanghans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Fridzillogic Flower
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 06:55:24 -0700

Great shot.  One of your best in my opinion.
Aram

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:06:26 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>

Happy you like poetry too Aram, and colour. :-)
Thanks for viewing.
phx

AramLanghans wrote:

Great shot.  One of your best in my opinion.

Aram

This week's contribution to the blossoming LUG  :-)

http://tinyurl.com/6lbr9u
:-[
phx

Checked by AVG.
5/19/2008 7:44 AM

Checked by AVG.
5/19/2008 7:44 AM

------------------------------

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] on being a patient...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:19:40 -0700

Isaac and Dr Piatt...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/isaacjan

your comments are appreciated,

thanks,

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:28:31 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: on being a patient...

Steve Barbour showed:

Isaac and Dr Piatt...
http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/isaacjan

I love it! :-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:33:05 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>

Boys will be boys  ;-)
Love it too
phx

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: six missing teeth...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:57:28 -0700

On May 18, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Subject: [LRflex] six missing teeth...
http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/fournatse

Steve Barbour said:
=93Whatever?=94 J
Hey come on mon ami, what the crew have seen since Book 1 are, =20
without question the strong beginnings of a BOOK 2! J
And you pop these up like candy and question any thought of a book  =20
2? J

thank you Ted... i wouldn't get started on another unless I can see a =20=

way to do it better...

not sure I can,

but I appreciate the kick in the pants,

:-)

Steve

ted

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: concern...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:09:06 -0700

On May 18, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Hi Steve,
I find the Mother more concerned than the child in this case. So I=92d =

=20

be more inclined to go with the book concept using the title.. =20
=93Unconcerned!=94

  a French title...

"Pas de Quoi..."

Steve

ted

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:13:10 -0700
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>

Steve Barbour showed:

Isaac and Dr Piatt...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/isaacjan

Great Steve,

Kind of looks like a stand off at the OK Corral! :-)

Say hello to Dr. Piatt. :-)

ted

------------------------------

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: he's back...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:11:22 -0700

On May 18, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve,
Are you sure he=92s not out for your scalp? ;-)
I think I might have Dominique standing by with a shot gun just in  =20
case. J
Just make sure she aims high if it should decide to light on your =20
head! J

she might just have a good excuse...

and aim low...

:-)

Steve

ted

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:53:33 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Dimitri

Here, high in the hills, we've had the shortest spring on
record.  One week ago, we had a mix of hail and snow.  By last
Thursday, the temperatures were 30+.

So, while I was out photographing the Quad riders, Rose manned the
Food Concession.

Ice cream was a big seller, and Dimitri was one of her best customers....

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dimitri.htm

C&C welcomed, as always.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:13:04 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Dimitri

Hi David
looks like the temp was high (from the corners of his mouth , run down
chin, and more) - and the cream Rose served good by the look of his
smile and eyes.
Un vrai petit lutin
Thanks for sharing
phx

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:19:00 -0700
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>

Steve Barbour offered:

a French title...

"Pas de Quoi..."

"Oui!" :-)

ted

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:24:35 -0700
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>

David Young showed:

Here, high in the hills, we've had the shortest spring on record.One week

ago, we had a mix of hail and snow.  By last

Thursday, the temperatures were 30+.

So, while I was out photographing the Quad riders, Rose manned the

Food Concession.

Ice cream was a big seller, and Dimitri was one of her best customers....

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dimitri.htm <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi David,

A good one as kids and ice cream always make a good photo! :-)

ted

------------------------------

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:28:09 -0700

On May 19, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve Barbour showed:
Isaac and Dr Piatt...
http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/isaacjan
Great Steve,
Kind of looks like a stand off at the OK Corral! J
Say hello to Dr. Piatt. J
ted

will do,

thanks Ted,

Steve

------------------------------

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Ted Grant on his 79th BD (book is a gift from "friends")
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:55:57 -0700

http://upload.pbase.com/image/97330708
Ted Grant received this book on the occasion of his 79th birthday,

"from his good friends".

smile Ted and remember...

"you never stop learning..."

:-)

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:13:11 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>

Happy Birthday Ted!
Thanks Steve for the humorous reminder.
Amitiés
Philippe

From: "AramLanghans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:35:43 -0700

Same here
.

Aram

Ted Grant received this book on the occasion of his 79th birthday,

"from his good friends".

smile Ted and remember...

"you never stop learning..."

:-)

Steve

Checked by AVG.
5:04 PM

Checked by AVG.
5:04 PM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Happy Birthday Ted and a heart felt thankyou for the critiques and and lessons you've given all of us.

By the way what did Irene give you this year?-- A white water raft trip :-)
AramLanghans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                Same here
.

  Aram

    Ted Grant received this book on the occasion of his 79th birthday,

    "from his good friends".

    smile Ted and remember...

    "you never stop learning..."

    :-)

    Steve

Checked by AVG.

Checked by AVG.

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

------------------------------

From: <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:01:32 -0500

Yes, happy birthday, Ted.  May you enjoy many more.

Dave

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 22:53:55 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] IMG: I may

I may have already have shot my PAW this week.
What do you think?
http://tinyurl.com/5nefno

Comments always welcome.
phx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:22:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Some new pics

Marc
Love the expression in "they gave me a pencil" Both shots are very good
Marc Dufour <foto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Charlie,

Thank you very much for your so kind comments. I really appreciate it.
  About the Spirit of the Forest, don't worry... Nobody can see him.
Well, sometimes he agrees to pose with some friends, for the photo-souvenir, but never discovers his face ;-)
  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+VII/
  Thanks again, and best regards.
  Marc
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It never ceases to amaze me on how you get these great shots!!!
wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:  Last sunday morning:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/ardeidae/grhe05.html

R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, shoulder stock & monopod, cropped somewhat. All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As Doug has the skills with the critters your's in incatching the children. Another candidate for book 2
Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/fournatse

whatever,

thanks,

Steve

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Aliens

Whilst you were busy photographing the ATV'ers, STMBO had me working on building one--nice shot David
David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All:

I spent much of yesterday photographing our local ATV club's annual
"Poker Run".

Am just now checking the "early returns", only to realize that in
full gear, many of these folks look like aliens from another planet...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Quad1.htm

C&C, welcome, as always.

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The lighting on this one just blows me away
Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx> wrote: our friend the great horned owl made a return visit,

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] a bad hair day...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:03:12 -0700

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/twosis_001

what's a girl to do?

thanks, Steve

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: a bad hair day...

Never tire of looking at these superb images Steve
Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx> wrote: http://www.solio.us/ gallery/PAW/twosis_001

what's a girl to do?

thanks, Steve

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 20:14:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] playing with death

David et al
While it isn't a high quality shot, I couldn't resist posting for your pleasure and laughs. Grandma and mom were at work, Grandpa and daddy were babysitting. Grandpa was getting the ATV out of winter storage when he realized that the baby seat fit the lugage rack perfectly. Took a couple of grab shots and happily E-mailed my handywork of to mama and grandma. Needless to say the return comments were swft and fierce

  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/yxandy/mikaylaatv.jpg.html

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

------------------------------

From: bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Recent Birdsnaps
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 22:40:56 -0500

Folks -

Ducking into the fray (in a manner of speaking) I realized that I
haven't posted anything lately so here are some shots from the past
few weeks:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/miller_birding_april_08

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/birding_0508

And here's a sequence of Hot Bluebird Action (it seems they were
fighting over a female...)

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/fighting_bluebirds

C & C if motivated.

Bob Palmieri

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:01:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Recent Birdsnaps

bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ducking into the fray (in a manner of speaking) I realized that I
haven't posted anything lately so here are some shots from the past
few weeks:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/miller_birding_april_08

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/birding_0508

And here's a sequence of Hot Bluebird Action (it seems they were
fighting over a female...)

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/fighting_bluebirds

C & C if motivated.

Midwestern spring migration!! One of the really great bird shows. Your American Redstart photo caught my attention, they're not easy to photograph.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento

Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:21:59 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>