[LRflex] Re: IMG: An evening/night stroll around the Hanseatic city of Stralsund

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:21:29 -0500

On 11/17/2010 6:50 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:
> Hello all,
> let me invite you all to a cold and rainy, evening
> stroll around Stralsund on the Baltic coast of northern
> Germany.
>
> I hope you can enjoy the walk from somewhere warm:-)
>
> Cheers
> Douglas

Douglas,
    I like these a lot, they convey a living sense of a beautiful
city, very cozy, when indoors.  The outdoor restaurant signs made
me hungry.  What an evocation of a marine culture!  The tall ship
looked very familiar.  I looked it up and it is a sister ship to
the former Horst Wessel, now the US Coast Guard Training
Barque "Eagle", often seen in Tall Ship displays.  She was at
OP Sail in New York in 1976, as Tovarich, under the Soviet flag,
along with "Eagle", "Mircea", and the replacement Gorch Fock,
all essentially the same design, and all built by B&V in Hamburg.
I wonder If I could find any of the pictures I took then. :-)
    It's good that the collapse of the Soviet Union and a lot of good
will brought her home.
    Thanks for sharing.

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein