[LRflex] Re: How to ride a bull...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 21:58:31 -0700

Hi Philippe!

> Nice takes David, even though a narrower depth of field would definitely
> help to set the action out against less than sharp guys in the
> background.

I was using the 50~200/2.8-3.5 Zuiko at about 150mm.  It's not a large arena.

The big problem with bull riding, is that unlike horses, the bulls seldom move
more than 10 to 15 feet (3 to 5 meters) from the chute ... so sharp-ish
backgrounds are nearly always a problem.

The solution is to shoot from the side, but at this venue, as with many others,
this is not possible.

This is one reason I love the Deadman's Creek rodeo ... they'll let you shoot
from just about anywhere!  Sadly, I've missed it, the last few years as we were
out of town.  This year, we were here, and they canceled it, so they could do
arena upgrades!

I intended to shoot wide open, but accidentally set f4.  (Mind you, wide open,
at 150mm is around f3.3 anyway.)

> Thinking of my stork that you liked, have you tried using the longest
> lens you own (with extender if needed and even if it means stepping back
> to get the whole scene in the frame) all of this at full aperture?

Same problem ... can't step back, as we were in the stands.  If you go further
back, you are in the parking lot, and cannot see the bulls!

Sorry!  Best I could do!

> OTT : Alice is flying your way on Saturday, on business unfortunately.

I am sorry, too, that we'll miss her!  Wish her a safe & pleasant journey, for
us, will you?

David.

is active.