[LRflex] Hot Foot... and other stories....

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:46:35 -0700

Good Mornin' Ted!

You wrote to the LRflex list:

My only comment about the interview is how many versions through translation, online assumptions, possibilities of what or wont, maybe, might and any other ideas list members can and have read into this have taken up so much picture taking time better spent..

I have to agree, Ted. No arguments with your position. However, there is another side to all of this, which you may wish to consider.

We have just over 300 members in the LRflex list. Of those, about 15 are regular contributors, another 20 are occasional contributors. The rest, we never hear from. They are the "lurkers" who only read the list, and never say "boo". From the little contact I've had, I think most of them would be just as well served with a Brownie Box camera... but the own Leicas! (Just look at how many don't show their photos to the list!)

They seem to get as much enjoyment out of watching the company, as watching our photos. To me, that's rather sad. But, as a keeper-of-the-list, for the LRflex group, I need to stimulate the list to provide interesting material for all. So when something like the Kaufmann interview comes along, I will often toss it into the ring. I apologize if the ensuing discussion seems pointless, but it does serve to entertain many of the great unwashed.

You good Sir have shown that it's possible to comment and still produce some great photo essay material! J

Thanks, Ted. Considering the source, that's a great compliment! And, it was a fun series to shoot. My first with the new Oly E3 (and Oly glass), and I'm very impressed with the handling of the body (I find it as intuitive as the R8, but with the lightness of the 20D.30D) as well as the quality of the glass.

When you're next by our way, I'll let you play with it. I think you'll like it!

Speaking of "next by our way" ... earlier you'd mentioned that you may be through our way, in May, on the way to/from Cindy's, in Jasper. I hope that's still on the books! Do you have approximate timings?

From ours side, we are to make a lightning trip to Vancouver, for the Spring Camera Show & Traditional dinner, which, according to Henning, is on Saturday, April 19th. Then, we're off to Hornby Island, to help our friend, Grant, with some repairs to his summer home. Sadly, we won't have time to add Victoria to our list, as we must be back in Logan Lake for the first.

Just after the Victoria Day weekend, Rose heads for Whitecourt, Alberta, to babysit the Grandkids for 3 weeks, but I will be here, other than for June 5 through June 8th inclusive, when I'll be in Vernon, selling my photos at the Creative Chaos fair. Don't fret about Rose not being here, if you're through at that point... you'll still get fed! I cook really well... though I do it in pubs & restaurants! Heck, even if I'm not here, we'll leave the place fairly clean and arrange for you to have a key. You're welcome to stay, thus avoiding the cost of a motel, in Kamloops!

The place should look a little better, when you're here... we've painted the kitchen & halls, added new kitchen countertops and a new sink, as well as lowered the cabinets and started to paint them. Currently, the carpet is torn up, in the kitchen & halls, and we are in the process of removing the lino. In the kitchen dining area, we found the carpet was on top of orange/red indoor outdoor carpet, which is on top of peel & stick lino tiles, which is on top of glued on lino tiles. So far, two full days spent cleaning the mess, with a full two days (at least) to go! Then, we'll put down the Oak hardwood flooring which is currently blocking access to the main dining table. It should all be in place within the next 10 days.

BTW: I have a (not quite up to date) web page, for family use, where you can follow our progress, if you wish. http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/mess.htm Irene may find it interesting (or not).

All of this is, however, cutting in to my photo taking time! :-( Oh well... that's what some of the time on Hornby will be for! :-)

Anyway, I hope you're still planning to come our way and we're looking forward to seeing you both!

Do let us know your plans.

And give yer wanton woman a hug for us!

Cheers!
David and (the still sleeping) Rose.