[LRflex] Re: Good Photographers -&- Good! NOT Bad Lenses

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 02:05:42 -0800 (PST)

Hello Peter,
   I would like to volunteer to help you clean your dust collecting shelf
cameras. Pack them off to snowy west michigan, I'm at the third house from the
corner. I'll promptly contact you once they're properly dusted and ready for
service! Ought not to take more than a few months, well, maybe four at most. :-)
   More seriously though, thank you for the feedback on the equipment you shoot
with. While I am dearly fond of my 20D, I have no issue with others not caring
for it. I recently decried another list member  (tongue in cheek style) for
conducting lens tests at 800iso with his. No sense taking NO photographs
because I just ain't got that woeful EOS 1D Canon should be kissing my feet to
take off their hands!
   Your noting the f2 pancolar reminded me that my friend actually had 3 exacta
bodies. Two of them were 'later' ones probably circa 1950's ???  with removable
pentaprisms and were ferociously triangular when lookiing down from above at
them. The other was exceptionally early and instead of a prism had a pop-up
shade to peer down into the camera to the image formed by the reflex mirror on
ground glass a'la rolleiflex tlr style. The engraving and metal work on the pop
up parts makes me think it was definitely out of the 1930's, but alas my
photography is much better than my memory.
   Query: do you use any Leica M lenses on your G1? I hear there is a nice
adapter for them available for Micro 4/3rd cameras.
Richard in Michigan

________________________________

Leica R Lenses.
They R worth it -
They R what I Use -
They R the Answer.
Just Not 4 every ?.
________________________________

________________________________
From: "Richard Ward" ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:51:24 -0800 (PST)

> Hi Peter!,
> I hope the images I shared, the comments I wrote, and the followup post
> made, communicate that my coming to dislike the Pancolar was a personal
decision
> based upon my individual photographic methods and results leading the
Pancolar
> away from being the beloved goto lens in my bag. Heck, my flickr account
is named
> Zeissfan for good cause! :-)
> In retrospect, my original post could have been worded a bit differently,
but
> while I thought carefully about the post and I worked not to rush it to
completion,
> it was never written to be a dissertation on the Pancolar. I wanted to say

> something about NOT overlooking the inherent values of the equipment one
has at
> hand. The primary variable is the photographer in any image, not the
> photographic equipment in their hand or on their tripod. If there was not
value
> and goodness intrinsic to my Pancolar Fifty, the 'shadows & ice' image I
posted
> could not have achieved the technical qualities it demonstrates.
> I actually wouldn't mind at ALL giving the fast 80mm version a whirl, but
it's got
> collectors as well as users chasing them on eBay so those times I was able
to bid on
> one, back in another life it seems, the prices got out of hand in the end.
If memory
> serves (not guaranteed!) the last one I saw went for upwards of $400usd.
Whew.
> As for the links you shared - quite interesting. A friend I had for many
years shot
> with a very early Exacta SLR with it's uber cool lens side shutter
release/stop
> down button switches. I must also say that the micro 4/3rds cameras (i
think your
> lumix is one) has great appeal to me for lens adapting, but that 2x crop
factor is a
> big impediment. My 20D has the 1.6x factor which isn't very spectacular
either,
> but in practice hasn't bothered me much. A 50mm lands at the 80mm focal
length I
> like and the 80-90mm lenses land comfortably close to the commendable
135mm
> focal length I find I enjoy, as well.
> To again turn a circle back to my ongoing thesis of 'it's the
photographer, not the
> equipment', my friend with the Exacta also had a Rollei SL outfit with
Zeiss
> Primes, a Rollei TLR with a very nice Schneider Lens, and a 4x5 field
camera with a
> STUNNING Voightlander APO Lanthar 150mm. His equipment was exceptional
> optically, his craft very sound, and his exposures and film choices and
subjects
> equal to the quality of his equipment. Unfortunately he took the most
incredibly
> boring pictures. Other than technical esthetics of micro contrasts, colors
and
> tonalities, and the display of obvious photographic craftsmenship - there
> never seemed to be an angle, a composition, a moment, or a person's
personality,
> captured or expressed in any way to be considered inviting or visually
> interesting. Quite sad actually.
> Peter, I wonder if you might have any info or forums to find opinions
regarding
> lens adapting and the Sony A900/850 cameras? I am heavily impressed with
the
> EOS-1Ds option, but due dilligence and just plain curiousity calls for
> exploring the Sony option as well. My initial google searches gave pretty
> marginally useful results. The only useful link was tangental at best with
a long
> thread on "the first lens" people bought for their a900 where R Lenses
were
> passingly discussed.
>
> Thanks
> Richard in Michigan