[LRFlex] Re: Getting a grip...

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:04:42 -0500

David -

A really good idea, well executed and beautifully described and illustrated. Much better than current "publication quality." Me, I'm just stickin' a pushbutton into the hole in the later grip. I have fond memories of a similar pricey Canon long release extension playing a major role in shooting an assignment that included planes taking off at O'Hare Airport here in Chicago about 15 years ago. (They gave us the run of the place - That was Then, as they say....) I was happy to pay whatever they were asking in order to be able to get far enough away from the path of the rapidly accelerating 747's.

I'm hoping this inspires some of the rest of us to show the group how to make and do useful things with Leica gear.

Incidentally, impressed as always by the performance of the Summicron/Elpro combo I got a coupla nice NOS Minolta achromatic closeup lenses for occasional use with the 50mm 1.8 Canon lens I knock around with on my 20D.
I gotta say that casual tests show that this rig seems quite inferior to the above-mentioned Leica combo...

Bob Palmieri

On Jul 24, 2005, at 2:27 AM, David Young wrote:

All:

Those of you who know me, know that I'm like the litte bird... "cheap...cheap!" And I'm a bit of a tinkerer, too.

When I bought my 400 Telyt, I bought the cheapest one I could find... and naturally it had the old style, folded aluminum hand grip, rather than the newer, moulded hand grips which have a spot for either cable or electric release.

No matter, I built one from hard Maple.

Now, I've found the need to convert it to an electric release, for use with the 20D body.

If you're not interested in do-it-yourself camera projects, ignore this post. But if you are in to that sort of thing, and would like to see how it can be done... you might find a peek at http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/getting_a_grip.htm worth your while. (Best viewed at 1024 x768 resolution, or higher.)

Thanks for looking!

David.

_____

David Young,