[LRflex] Re: For Ted... and everybody else....now model/property releases

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:11:05 -0700

David offered:

>>I don't think you'd need  a property release for any of these, at least
not in Canada, as there are no logos of any size, visible.<<<<<<

Hi David,

Wrong again mon ami! :-(

I bet a hundred dollars no matter how beautiful these pictures are and they
were offered to Masterfile, the largest stock photo agency in Canada with
international offices or other large stock agencies were going to accept
them, they wouldn't touch them without a "Property Release! Logos or no
logos!"

A very simple example. I had taken pictures of my home and garden and
submitted them. The day my editor saw them she was quite taken with the
results and called ... "WHERE IS THE PROPERTY RELEASE?"

I responded , "it's my house why do you want a release?"

Without hesitation she responded in a somewhat stern manner. "I don't care
if it's a house owned by you or the All Mighty, where the hell is the
release or we'll reject them! We don't want to do that!! As we have a client
ready to purchase their use."

Guess who faxed a release immediately!

It has become a cold cruel world out there in the use of images for selling
commodities, locations or whatever you can imagine.

A release in hand, if you are considering ever "selling" the picture is the
only way to go, as stupid as some may think! But that's life when selling
your pictures these days.

I'm not saying you may have sold all kinds of images to graphic designers or
publishers and never had a problem. BUT! Today you can't take the chance as
there are people out there who'd sue their parents if they figured they
could make easy money for nothing than bitching. A stranger? Man you are
monetarily dead in the blink of an eye!

I've been in the stock photography business since pre 1970 and it has become
worse and worse requiring releases.

Be warned!

ted