[LRflex] Re: Foolin' Around

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 16:10:26 -0700

Hi Aram!

I think the lack of sharpness is not from the quality of the lens (it's quite
sharp  on static subjects, when used on a monopod) but the fact that it is
manual focus and was used on a rapidly moving subject. By the time my brain
said OK, and the finger finally pressed the button, the helicopter had moved.
[sigh]  As I see the image, it's OOF, rather than blurred. After all, not much
DOF, at 500mm even at f8!

I will do some more testing with the Mirror Nikkor, but so far I'm reasonably
impressed. I'd be pleased to hear your results with your C-90.

I sold my C-90 years ago, having replaced it with the 400 Telyt. I only used
the C-90 for a couple of Solar Eclipses - but it did the job. Besides, I think
I've only got one more total solar eclipse in me ... Montana, 21 August, 2017.
With a little luck, I might make the Annular eclipse in Nicaragua, 14 Oct, 2023
and/or the Total Eclipse - Mexico through Ohio, on 8 April 2024. But, by then
I'll be 77 and that'll be it, for sure! For those, the 400 Telyt or the 500
Nikkor will do just fine.

As for Margie's E-M10, I cannot offer much.  We know a lady, here in town, who
has the E-M5 (same EVF) and she loves it.  I found the finder in the E-M5 &
E-M10 certainly lacking compared to the E-M1 finder (which is most acceptable),
but she loves hers.

As for battery life, I surprised myself the other day and got 846 shots (no
flash), all on one battery!  I didn't think it was possible!  OTOH, they were
all shot within a 2 hour period... so little was wasted on the back display
panel or EVF.

Pity, she does not like it, though as you say, it is the one you like, and use,
that's the best.

I wish her good luck, with whatever she chooses to use.

David.

> As you say, not super sharp, but certainly a usable image.  I am duly
> impressed at the ability of the camera.  I should try strapping my C90
> telescope on to Margie's Oly even though it does not have as
> sophisticated a stabilization system as yours.   I need to do this
> quickly as I think she is ready to dump her new one and go back to her
> old E410 or possibly the E420 she bought to replace it.  She just is not
> comfortable with the new camera and has hardly taken any photos with it
> on our last two trips.  She is bummed out by the battery life, and she
> does not like the viewfinder, does not like the way the lens locks, and
> a list of other things that annoy  her. And, after all, what good is the
> best camera in the world if you are not comfortable using it.  The best
> camera is the one that you have on hand and use.
>
> Aram

is active.