[LRflex] Re: Focus confirmation on Canon DSLRs while using Leica lenses

  • From: Dr Gérard de BOTTON <g.debotton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:02:27 +0200

Gentlemen,

I very often read your messages, even if I do not actively participate =
this forum, since I already am a member of the Leica User Forum.

But my attention was drawn by the topic of focus confirmation on Canon =
DSLRs
with Leica lenses, so I just wanted to share my experience with those of =
you
who would be interested.

A month ago my whole Leica equipment was stolen from my car in Bilbao,
Spain. Somebody put his knife in one of my tires, while waiting at a red
crossing signal, which forced me to stop, and while I was changing the
wheel, they took my Leica bag out of my car along with my wallet, IDs, =
cell
phone and so on. My brother very kindly gave me his Canon EOS 350D, =
which I
use now. At home, I had left my Macro-Elmarit 60mm which is the only =
remain
of my former equipment, and of course, I tried to use it on the Canon =
DSLR
body.

So, on eBay, I found an interesting adapter, made by a Hong-Kong company
called ROXSEN. This adapter has a chip that gets in contact with Canon's
body. I thought that it would give focus confirmation only with Leica's =
ROM
lenses contacts. But to my great surprise, I was amazed to see that it
worked even with my 20 years old 3-cam but non ROM Macro-Elmarit!!!

When you get in focus, the red diodes in the finder glitter, and the =
green
lamp at the right lower part of the finder turns ON. And the picture is =
as
sharp as with the dedicated Canon automatic lenses (but the colors are =
not
the same!).

So, if you are interested, browse eBay to find ROXSEN, or LILYBOX, =
another
Chinese brand that sells the same kind of device. My adapter costs =
around
70$. It is not an auction, but an immediate buy.

I immediately sent this information to Leica, and they answered they =
would
investigate this possibility.

The answer to the question of focus confirmation on Canon DSLRs with =
Leica
lenses is: YES! EVEN WITH NON-ROM LENSES!

Greetings

Dr G=E9rard de BOTTON
48 rue de la Mairie
28360-PRUNAY-LE-GILLON