[LRflex] Focus confirmation on Canon DSLRs while using Leica lenses

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:56:12 +0800

Hello All,
David has resubscribed me after a lengthy vacation and I would like
to comment on the above. From my experience there is no focus
confirmation in the Canon body when using Leica lenses via an
adaptor. Perhaps the new Canon 400 is different but I have used the
D60, the 10D, 20D 5D and 1DmkII and none of these cameras provided
confirmation. I found focusing especially wide angle lenses very hit
and miss and finally abandoned Canon for Olympus and the 4/3rd system
where with mirror locked up and using 10X magnified focusing my hit
rate with wide angles has improved remarkably. Of course, the
"decisive moment" is long gone by the time you have made focus - but
that is another matter!

Please see:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/002f.shtml

for a most thorough discussion about using Leica lenses on Canon Dslrs.

Best Regards
Howard (in Hong Kong)