[LRflex] Film vs Digital users poll

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:33:48 -0700

Hi David:  Thanks for running the poll of member countries.  Just a
thought here - it may be interesting if this List would run another
poll to ask the members their current %film vs %digital usage, and
maybe they will state their camera types.  This thought was
precipitated by this news blurb:

"Last year, Americans sent 11.8 billion photos via email, compared
with 2.6 billion in 2000. By 2009, this number is projected to grow
22%, to 25.7 billion pictures, according to IDC, an Internet
technology research firm."

I can see people shooting film who cannot afford the DMR Back but wish
to utilize the stellar qualities of the Leica lens line-up.  On the
other hand, many people use digital point-n-shoots as secondary
cameras for family gatherings and other spontaneous social or street
photography situations.

In my humble experience, I shoot film (35mm+120/220) when I want to
get the best out of my equipment, and digital when I want to document
technical/medical subject matter quickly for work, and when my family
+ friends get together and we want to share pictures online.  Sadly, I
do less of the former than the latter, which in my mind is "real"
photography.  My own percentages are 65%-70% digital, 20-25% 35mm film
and 10-15% medium format.  For 35mm I shoot only Leica/Rollei.  For
digital I like the Fuji S1 Pro even tho' it has a low pixel count -
good enough for work-related documentation and insertion into
Microsoft WORD doc's. One fine day when - money flows from heaven upon
the plane beneath - I will get into the digital CanoLeica lens
paradigm. (BTW - I stopped playing with the cell phone's digital
camera - at VGA quality, it still best left for teenagers living in
their eternally youthful world.  However this will change rapidly in
the next few years. I hear  SONY ERICSSON already has a 3 MP camera
with a Carl Zeiss lens!

~ Eric Chan in Silicon Valley