[LRflex] Re: EOS adapters was can you identify this bird?

  • From: <badgerhill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 9:13:57 -0700

Hi Colin,=20
I read your adapter email and I recently sent this response to David Young =
with a vaguely similar issue. I have a Canon 1DS MK II and in addition to a=
 number of Canon EF L lenses (all fine to a greater or lesser extent) I am =
also using leica R manuals which I think are actually a bit better than the=
 Canons (based upon my very unscientific tests determined by shooting the s=
ame objects manually with adapted Leica and the Canon L's of the same  foca=
l length and  using the same lighting, etc). I got on to this email list af=
ter emailing Doug Herr about the issue and he was kind enough to get back t=
o me right away with some great pointers along with his Leica reviews. I mu=
st say the differences between the Canon L's and the Leicas are subtle...bu=
t the Leicas are a bit better both in bokeh and sharpness. I've found that =
the 50mm Summicron f2 is just great and relatively cheap used particularly =
since I don't care about 3 cam or ROM etc. I'm also using a 135mm Elmarit R=
 2.8 2 cam which I read is not supposed to be that great.....but you couldn=
't prove that by me. I've done some superb portraits with it.  I can use th=
e older Leica versions that make no difference to me. And the used Leicas a=
re a lot cheaper than the new EF L Canons. I like to shoot with manual focu=
s if I can and in that case the Leicas aren't much different to use than th=
e Canons. In some cases shooting candids that won't stand still I go the Ca=
non L's but otherwise I try to use the Leicas. I've read a lot about the ad=
apters available and while the Novoflex seems to be understood to be the be=
st,  I'm using very inexpensive  Chinese versions ($US15 to $US25) and they=
 work just fine. I have the adapters mounted on the lenses so I'm not bugge=
ring around trying to use one adapter for 4 lenses which would be a pain. A=
t about $US200. for each Novoflex...I couldn't justify buying four of them =
but its no prob for eight of the cheapos. Actually there are so many adapte=
rs out there for the EOS that a  whole new world of lenses is now available=
 to me and I'm looking for  good M42, Carl Zeiss and Nikons in addition to =
the Leicas to adapt to the 1DS. I have an old Nikon FTn collection (my firs=
t 35mm) with some good Nikon lenses that I can now use easily. A number of =
the Nikons are just fabulous. I have a like new Leica R3 but for a boob lik=
e me.... I'm not clever or patient enough to shoot film and then wait a  we=
ek for processing before I see the results so I can simply adjust the 1DS f=
rame by frame to get the proper exposure and I'm loving it. I've bought a n=
umber of adapters from a Chinese seller and he speaks English perfectly and=
 the prices are great and the products are fine and I've had no problems wi=
th them. If you're interested I can give you his email or you can simply go=
 to eBay and find someone else. They may likely be very similar. I just pur=
chased a used 90mm Elmarit R 2.8 and am expecting it today. From what I've =
read this should be better than the Canon 135 L (which I must say is great)=
 so I can't wait.
=20
If anyone can add anything to this please do.=20
Good Luck,=20
Harry
=20