[LRflex] Re: Day into night.

  • From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:33:13 +0200

Some artefacts in the sky but wonderful all the same.

Amities
Philippe

Le 22 oct. 14 à 16:50, David Young a écrit :

I make the long drive between Grande Prairie, Alberta and our home several
times a year.

Each time, between GP and Grande Cache, I pass about a dozen gas plants. They "flare off" surplus gas (which always strikes me as a waste) for various
technical reasons.  (Sorry, I'm not a gas expert.)

Usually, the flare pipes are off or, if on, flaring only small amounts of gas.

But I'd often thought what a dramatic image a large burn might be ... but only if taken at night, for the flames are pathetic (as photo ops) by day. But, those few times I've seen large flare-offs at night, I'd be near the end of a 12 to 13 hour drive, and not really interested in stopping. Just in getting to
my destination.

As I drove home about a week ago, one of the plants, quite near the road, was flaring large amounts of gas. It was 9 o'clock in the morning with a very dark sky, caused by a heavy rain storm. It looked like day had turned into night.

I stopped the car.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/D2N.html

Comments, criticism welcomed, as always.

David.

One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE