[LRflex] Re: Concentration

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:23:28 -0700

At 16/07/2008, you wrote:
Dear David,
A great mill shot! I have more than a little experience taking pictures in potash mills and I know how hard it is to do well. I think you done good.
What WA lens did you use?
Cheers
Howard

G'Mornin' Howard!

I'm sure you've seen the insides of many a mill, and they are, indeed, a challenge.

However, while the light in the concentration area was manageable, the light on the Ball/Sag Mill side was a bear, as you'll see in my next post.

I'd been through these mills before, on their annual, public tour day. But the saving grace, this time, was being with two video crews, who were also doing work for the mine's owners. We were allowed virtually anywhere ... whereas public tours are limited to roped off areas. Thus, I could get to the spots where the shots actually began to look good, though you could see our handlers/guides wince, at some of the places we clambered to!

Lens was the 12~60mm Zuiko (at 17mm) on the E3. Exposure was 1/50th/f3.5. ISO 1250. No noise reduction applied.

Thanks for looking, and for your kind words.