[LRflex] Re: Comments on Keith's musings.

  • From: "Chris Birchenhall" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:37:58 +0100

---------------
David writes:

The one dot/two dot switch is for normal/double exposures. The double
white dot allows the motor to wind the camera mechanism but the
clutch disengages the film advance sprockets and take-up spool so the
shutter gets wound but the film remains in place.  IIRC, if your
press and hold the camera's release, you will get single
exposures.  If you press and hold the motor or grip releases, you'll
get continuous frames until you let go.
----------------

Why oh why not have a single shot option? Using the camera's release with
the winder attached is a pain! It is this sort of detail that will drive me
back to Nikon. Really guys I am getting ****** off with Leica's inability to
get the details right. There is only so much pain I will put up with to use
their glass. And heck if I am willing to pay Leica prices there is some
great Nikon glass too. Furthermore, my next purchase is likely to be a Zeiss
lens with a Nikon mount.

Apologies, here I am ranting again - but heck I believe in giving feedback.
My work life revolves on getting feedback on what I do. Unwillingness to
seek out and learn from feedback is Leica's major weakness.

If they combine "get the optics right" with "test, test, test, ...." where
every other "test" means putting it out to a wide range of users to be
tested AND actually listening to what they say - heck they pay for it all at
the end of the day - then maybe I will return.

There was a famous marketing story from a "guru": "I was looking for a car.
I looked at a car from XYZ. I sat in it and there was a place to put my
coffee mug so I bought it!!"

So why does Microsoft Windows and Office have so many features 90% of us
never use?

I hope I am clear. The devil always lurks in the detail.

Chris