[LRflex] Re: Canon 40D

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 08:24:48 -0700

At 04/05/2007, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>I read your ruminations about the 40D with interest. I think that if
>it has
>a) supersonic dust removal
>b) mirror up live view (like the 1D Mk111), and if
>c) the focus confirmation R>EOS adapters are reasonably accurate
>I believe you will be a very happy camper!
>I have owned and used the Canon D60, 1DMk11, Canon 20D and Canon 5D
>and if the auto focus confirmation adapter had been available I
>likely would
>still be shooting the 5D. So my advice (free, unsolicited,) would be
>to go for it!
>Cheers
>Howard
>PS: And I would buy Rose an OLy or a Lumix to back up your back up.
>Yes I would.

Hi Howard:

Thanks, for this info.

[a] you are right. Interestingly, I had to clean the 20D sensor,
fairly regularly.  I've never had to clean the DMR's sensor.  I have
read that due to the nature of static charges, some sensors attract
more dust than others, though I am unclear just why.

[b] That is the news I wanted to hear!  I remain convinced that you
cannot have a second sensor in the finder, for live view, without
siphoning some light from the finder.  As you point out, in the L1 &
Oly, the difference is only measurable, not visible. Still, like
Doug, I want as bright a finder as possible, because of the long,
slow lenses I shoot with.  I would use Live View for tripod work and
mirror up LV is fine, for that.  Thanks for this very reassuring tidbit!

[c] Focus confirmation with adapters should be every bit as
(in)accurate as with Canon lenses.  The autofocus sensors and logic
are in the camera.  The chip in the adapter only fools the body into
thinking that there is a Canon lens on it, and thus it should turn AF on!

I was very pleased with my 20D, as is it's current owner.  My only
complaints were 1) no spot metering and 2) the lack of fine detail,
due to the aggressive AA filter.  This lack of detail will be cured,
to a small extent, by the increase from 8 to 10 megapixels; while the
spot metering was cured in the 30D.  I am under no illusions that a
40D will match the DMR, but it will be closer than the 20D. And,
certainly less expensive than buying a second R8/9+DMR for backup!

As an aside ... I understand that one reason folks are so happy with
Nikon's D200 is that although Nikons all use AA filters, the nature
of Nikons filters is considerably less "aggressive" than those in the
Canon's.   People who have used both, extensively, tell me that Nikon
photos look "sharper" than Canon shots. Curious....

As for the Oly or Lumix vs Pentax for Rose... I will let her
decide.  To be honest, from what I've seen of the Pentax, if I could
get an adapter for my 'R' glass which would focus at infinity, I'd
have the K10d, in a shot!   Inexpensive, nice finder, easy and
intuitive to handle.  In all, very nice!  Leica could learn a lot, from Pentax.

Thanks again.  I will go for the 40D, when it comes out.  I only
wish, because of the long delays with my DMR, that it was out now!