[LRflex] Burma

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 03:39:14 -0700

Hi David,
Answers to your questions (*) follow.
Thanks for looking and commenting
Howard

From:     David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 11:09:45 -0700
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Burma

Hi Howard!

I've often thought of going to Burma. It's been a toss-up between Burma and
Vietnam/Laos.  Now that the military dictatorship of the last 60+ years is
ending - and having seen your photos, we just might make it Burma!

* In both countries the people are wonderful and the photo opportunities are
abundant. You can't go wrong either way.

1) Love the sunrise with the balloon. Great shot!

* Thank you. I could see it lining up as the sun rose and the balloon drifted
along and I was ready for the moment. It was taken with the now discontinued 90
Elmarit on the X Pro 1 using the fuji M > X adapter. A very functional
combination in the field if you have time to fine tune the focus with enlarged
live view.

2) Esther may have had her spires lined up, but I prefer your sunset shot, with
the actual sun in the photo.  Is the lens you used, particularly resistant to
flare?  Or, did the haze from the fires (which fires?) solve the problem for
you?

* Again this was with the 90 Elmarit on the X Pro 1 - and the Leica lens is
very flare resistant. The smoke from the cooking fires may also have helped.

3) Soemoo looks like a delightful chap! Was his English good enough for decent
communications ... or do you speak Burmese, too?

* Everyone we met spoke some English. The Burmese revere education (and
complain about falling standards in the last 60 years). Soemoo's English was
perfectly adequate and his enthusiasm for photography really contributed to an
enhanced experience in Bagan. He was the best driver of all of our drivers.
And he did keep me from falling off the Pagoda!!

I can't wait to see more!

* They are on their way.

David.