[LRflex] Bee on Daisy - Hong Kong flowers

  • From: H&E Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:16:41 -0700

From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Bee on Daisy - Hong Kong flowers
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 06:48:40 -0400

>> Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:08:09 -0700
>> From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> In a message dated 06/07/2011, H&E Cummer said ...
> HI David,
> Thanks very much for the comment. Have never seen a bee in Hong Kong
> although I'm sure they exist. There are flowers, of course,
> brightening the smog, and I do take them as the mood strikes.
[...]

I recalled an item on the news a couple of years ago, where Chinese farmers
were pollinating their crops by hand because pesticides and such had killed
off the bees. Here's an article about that:

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/06/14/stung-by-bees.html

Perhaps that might account for the difficulty in seeing bees in other parts
of China?

--
best regards,

Neil

Hi Neil,
I really have no idea -but Hong Kong is very urban and I don't think pesticides
are extensively used.
Cheers
Howard