[LRflex] Another youngster - 3

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:56:18 -0700

On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:44 AM, <linda.vermeiren@xxxxxxxxxx> <linda.vermeiren@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Dear Ted,

I was deeply touchen by the foto exhibition "Noch mahl leben" (to live once more) in Hamburg last summer.

I went in and didn't know what it was going to be about ....

I saw two photos of the same person . In one he was looking towards you , the other , the eyes were closed as if he were sleeping...

When I realized what it was about , it had a very deep impact on me .

I came out another person.

Taboos in our western world were neglected.

It was such a gift to see this...

If you scroll following link you'll see them...

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/767/313673/text/

I don't I really photogaph for the papers.

I do it for people and sometimes I admit I present a photo with eyes closed and thery are sometimes liked.

The new Richard Avedon book titled Performance is out, it is stunning, and quite wonderful...

full of images of performers...famous and less so.

Pertinent to this discussion at the outset Avedon writes...

"We all perform.It's what we do for each other all the time, deliberately or unintentionally.

It's a way of telling about ourselves in the hope of being recognized as what we'd like to be."

-RA

While I don't recall any photos of people with their eyes closed, it's conceivable, I will look again...
maybe it is how some individuals wish to be seen...

Steve

I first await their reaction.

Never throw away in the bin.(before)

One of my most fragile photos of Caro is one where she is sitting , dreaming ,eyes closed (another one)...

I 'll try to find it and maybe another similar eyes open..

Thanks for sharing

Linda