[LRflex] Re: Another Delightful Photographer From The Past

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 15:07:35 -0700

So, I did some checking and with my Word 2 documents, it seems like in my Trust Center, Word 2, Word 6 and Word 95 were all blocked for some reason.  I unchecked them and I can now read my old files.  Thanks.  I remember in older versions of Word I had to download some translator addons from Microsoft to get them to read these older files. Then I could no longer find any that went back far enough.  I was using 2007 at the time.  I just updated to 365 as I get it free as a teacher.  All the translators must be included now.  Thanks for the inspiration to go look deeper into this.

Aram

On 8/5/2021 7:06 PM, Neil Gould wrote:

Some file formats are likely to persist because of the volume of materials that use them. TIFF, for example, has been "the" standard uncompressed image format since the 1980s. On the other hand, jpeg is a compressed format that was created as a convenience rather than an archival standard. As a result, the best jpeg is inferior to TIFF quality, but for its intended uses it is a better option. I think RAW and other proprietary formats are at the greatest risk of being unrecoverable simply because there isn't a legal obligation to provide continued support for them.

Another problem is the longevity of the storage material. Film degrades over time, but in the best of cases, and image can be retrieved for a century or more. Even film in a shoebox in the attic will have images that can be reproduced, even if the quality suffers. The best case for digital storage is far less. CDs and DVDs that were written by users have a very short life span, and should be backed up, stored in a controlled environment and checked frequently.

I'm surprised about your inability to read old Word documents, Aram. I've been able to open Word for DOS files in all subsequent Word programs including MS Office 365. Perhaps there is something unique about your files?

Neil

Subject: [LRflex] Re: Another Delightful Photographer From The Past
From: Aram Langhans<leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 19:27:45 -0700

And eventually new storage formats.  how many people still have the
software to read the old Kodak photo disks?  I ran across one the other
day.  One of these days Jpeg, Tiff etc will be replaced by something
"better" and the ability to read them will be a real challenge. I have
some old Word documents I cannot read anymore without finding a computer
that will run Windows 3.11 and load my old Office software, then maybe
work my way up from there if I can find the appropriate translators from
way back.
Aram

------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at:

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer
“The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself would ever have dared dream.” James D. Watson

Archives are at: