[LRflex] Re: And the winner is.....

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:31:52 -0800

Miha wrote:
Hi David,

I like your shot and your E3. I was checking one some days ago at the store and the camera was superb. The finish, the viewfinder, the responsiveness,...beautiful!!! I just wish the senzor wouldn`t be only one quarter in size compared to full-frame...

It all depends, Miha, on how you view the world. If you see "wide", and tend to use w/a lenses, then a 4/3rds camera is, indeed, a problem. It can be solved with a variety of Oly UWA lenses, but not so good, if you wish to use your Leica glass.

OTOH, if you see "long", as I do, it is a great asset. From the mid-1960's to the late 1980's (when I switched from Nikon to Leica) I had only two lenses ... the 80/1.8 Nikkor and a 200/4. The 80 was my "standard" lens, while the 200 was my "short tele".... and some of my best work was done with just these two lenses. I didn't own anything wider than a 50mm, until 1993, and didn't miss it!

The 4/3rds sensor means I can use my 400/6.8 Telyt without the 2x converter I needed on the R8+DMR and get nearly the same "reach", with a 2 stop gain in speed. And with the Telyt, those two stops are important! As well, the Telyt suffers (like all achromats) from some curvature of field. With the 4/3rds sensor, I am using only the central portion of the image circle, for best possible results and minimal field curvature. Throw in the in-body IS, which makes the Telyt an image-stabilized lens, and you can see why I like it!

The other reason I like it is it's size. True, the body and lenses are not a lot smaller than their equivalents in other brands. But, I bought the 12~60 and 50~200 SWD zooms (these are reputed to have the fastest AF of any camera and both optically very good - though at 12mm the Oly has more barrel distortion than a Leica lens), and the 1.4x converter. So, when travelling, I can cover 12~280mm (FOV = 24 to 560mm) with a very small kit. Add the Telyt, and that becomes 24 to 800, in one small gadget bag!

But, as you say, it's not for everybody. Still, it works for me, and as far as the handling, finish & viewfinder go, it's the closes thing to an "R" camera I have found. YMMV.