[LRFlex] Re: And I owe it all to Leica...

  • From: keith.r.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:26:09 +0100

It was said:

>>But, due to the price, Leica owners tend to be 'of an age'.  It's price
>> prevents, in most cases, it's being the camera of choice for the college
>> student.  Most of us have worked hard, to earn the price of the cameras
>we love.

This reminded me of the happy time when I bought my first Leica (Leicaflex
SL). I was 19 at the time at University and the photoshop had an SL body
in the window for £250 marked down to £199. It had a gouge out round the
tripod mount where it had been fitted to a tripod and screwed in much too
hard. It seemed to fire on all speeds so I decided to 'make an offer' as
an impoverished student would and got it 'sold as seen' for £140 cash -
it still works today! Of couse I didn't have a lens at this stage;-)  but
I managed to pick up a 2 cam 135mm lens a month or so for about £75 or so
(3 cam were all the rage) and got started taking pictures of people.
The collection has grown over the years with the R6 fitted with 80mm being
the usual kit.

Best regards
Keith