Re: some ! Leica using photographers...

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:29:50 -0800

On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:24 PM, Mark Bohrer wrote:

See how I rest my left hand on the lens in the portrait? That's one trick to a sharp shot, especially with a tripod. I do that especially with the 400mm Telyt - there's no IS to help with shake.

I find this helps more with lenses that have a tall tripod foot - like the Canons and current Nikons - than with the Telyts. I have no idea why C and N have adopted this design aside from providing a handle for carrying the lens because it gives the lens an invitation to vibrate. The Telyts' tripod foot is much closer to the lens' longitudinal axis and shakes much less than the tall tripod foot design. Kirk's replacement tripod feet for several C and especially N lenses ought to have given the lens' original designers a clue.

I find that the monopod along with shoulder stock is an excellent balance between stability and mobility; with the 280mm lens I've used shutter speeds as slow as 1/15 sec (leaning against a solid object) with excellent results. With the 400mm and 560mm lenses subject motion is the limiting factor more often than not.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com