Re: not PAW

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:14:41 -0800

During World War II, the Heinkel HE-219 night fighter had the nickname 'Uhu'. I'd forgotten what it meant!

Neat that a species thought to be extinct is actually recovering.

(Now all I need to do is find a great grey owl to photograph around Yosemite...)

At 10:12 AM 2/10/2006, you wrote:
Doug, good news from Europe
Along with the Lynx (the population of which grew by 7 last year according to today's paper), the Eagle Owl (or as the Germans say UHU) has been successfully re-introduced in the Harz Mountains National Park, there are rumours of Wolves having been sighted too, apparently originating from Poland, and free to roam since the borders fell.
Equally successful is the re-introduction of the Hen Harrier, Montagu's Harrier and the Red Kite in the North of England (Yorkshire Dales National Park) where a couple of experimental studies are also running to get otters and wild boar back into the system.The most endangered species in the UK is still the Red Squirrel. Grey Squirrels have recently been reported in continental Europe, so it may only be a matter of time before they spread across Europe and take over Red habitats.The climatic changes are becoming more obvious here too, Bee-eaters nesting and breeding close to the Scottish border last year and malaria carrying mosquitos reported in Bavaria last summer.

Douglas

Mark Bohrer Mountain and Desert Photography www.mountain-and-desert.com

Want better wildlife photos without expensive lenses?
Check out my Stealth Approach to Wildlife eBook at
www.mountain-and-desert.com/M&D_Seminars.htm