Re: A ducky morning at Shoreline

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:21:18 +0100

Mark,
the shot of the white tailed kite is fantastic!!!!!
The sparrow pictures show that even the most unobtrusive little birds make a good subject too.
A very enjoyable set of pctures.
Douglas

Mark Bohrer wrote:

Sunrise light is soft and warm - it makes great pictures. Now that you've found this great light,
look for something to put in it, then find a good background.

I went looking for sunrise subjects at Shoreline Park. It's winter home for grebes, teal,
and other ducks. You'll also see white-tailed kites, egrets and sparrows.

But you have to be inventive. The best backgrounds for ducks have been trashed while
the City of Mountain View finishes repairing the pipes feeding Shoreline Lake.

A male Anna's hummingbird patrolled his usual spot above the island off the northwest boundary
that terns and skimmers will roost on this summer. But the hummer was sick of the
photographer, and flew off to patrol somewhere else. Avocets, stilts and other sandpipers
cooperated around the island: http://tinyurl.com/dl72c

Cinnamon teals took their ease a little farther west: http://tinyurl.com/dy53y

Everybody was a little too far away for good closeups and I don't walk on water, so I headed
for the 'grandstand' at the border with Palo Alto Baylands. I was interrupted before I got there.
A sage sparrow sang his heart out, and I stopped to listen: http://tinyurl.com/8kjw8

A young white-crowned sparrow decided I was OK, and checked for predators over his shoulder:
http://tinyurl.com/eyaka

And another white-crowned sparrow relaxed and enjoyed a nice morning: http://tinyurl.com/bek55

A little further down the trail, a young golden-crowned sparrow played peek-a-boo
with me: http://tinyurl.com/au9eo

Finally I reached the viewpoint below the 'grandstand'. The cinnamon teals and
pied-billed grebes were resting:
http://tinyurl.com/9ohkh (teals), http://tinyurl.com/ckbwc (grebes)

The light had gone to hell - harsh and contrasty. It was time to go. But I'm always
on the lookout for targets of opportunity. This time, it was a white-tailed kite.
He was, what else, kiting: http://tinyurl.com/db2aj

All comments welcome.

Mark Bohrer Mountain and Desert Photography www.mountain-and-desert.com

Want better wildlife photos without expensive lenses?
Check out my Stealth Approach to Wildlife eBook at
www.mountain-and-desert.com/M&D_Seminars.htm