RE: Why not...SHADOW SIDE LIGHT!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:18:55 -0800

BOB KISS offered:
Subject: RE: Why not...SHADOW SIDE LIGHT!

>>>> DEAR JIM ET AL,

      I am jumping in late here but I hope you might find my 2 cents worth

while.  I agree completely that there is so much more sense of volume,

texture, space, etc. when shooting from the "shadow side".  But there are

shadows and there are shadows...very much a matter of degree.<<<<<<

Hi Bob,

You're absolutely correct about the shadows and type. But what we're
normally talking about when I say "Shoot from the Shadow Side" Doesn't mean
dead black shadows simply because when this light technique is seen and used
correctly 99% of the time there's "natural fill" sufficient to see into the
shadows.

I can't imagine an assistant running about holding up a reflector while
we're shooting the Prime Minister or other notable figures in a maddening
crowd. Or many other situations where the reflector just isn't an
appropriate option.

Yep if one is shooting flowers or some close-up situation the reflectors are
great, been there used it in this fashion many times.

However, if one is shooting a landscape, cityscape or architectural scene
there isn't a reflector big enough to light it. ;-) But seeing and using the
light from the "shadow side" and shooting from there is still the best
effective light one can work with for maximum visual effect, shadow and
light. In most cases. But not all!

>> I am only suggesting that a fill reflector of the

correct type, used properly, can give the photographer incredibly subtle

control over the shadows without looking like another source.<<

True again! However if one is a working photojournalist clicking away, say
an operating room in the middle of a heart transplant or like situation,
there's no way you'd be there with any kind of hand held reflector. This
situation is probably a bad example because in the OR there's a gazillion
reflective surfaces all over the place softening shadows every where.

However, the most important element of this is... "The photographer's
ability at reading and understanding light first and foremost." Quite
frankly more don't have a clue that light is the most important element to
successful photography. Than those who do and display their ability to read
light all the time and make wonderful use of it daily. Happy snaps or other
wise.

ted