RE: Why not...SHADOW SIDE LIGHT!

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:50:39 -0400

DEAR JIM ET AL,
        I am jumping in late here but I hope you might find my 2 cents worth
while.  I agree completely that there is so much more sense of volume,
texture, space, etc. when shooting from the "shadow side".  But there are
shadows and there are shadows...very much a matter of degree.  Sometimes we
want deep black shadows and other times we might want a little more subtlety
or even just a touch of detail deep down in the shadows.  The best way to
accomplish this is with a reflector of varying diffuseness and reflectivity
depending on what you want.  If used properly a reflector does not give the
sense of another light source...it just very subtly opens up the shadows to
give as much or as little detail as you want, remembering that neither film
nor digital capture systems have the dynamic range of the human visual
system.
        "To fill or not to fill" will always depend on what the photographer
wants in the final image.  I am only suggesting that a fill reflector of the
correct type, used properly, can give the photographer incredibly subtle
control over the shadows without looking like another source.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB