Re: Steel Magnolias

  • From: Rob McClure <rmcclure2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:44:30 -0400

Sonny,

Interesting series. It might be interesting to do a series from LUGGERS of movie locations in their areas. I bet we would have lots of them. Even here in sleepy small town Ohio we had several scenes shot for Tim Robbins' 'Shawshank Redemption' (the workshop and courtroom). Most of the movie was shot at the nearby Mansfield Reformatoy. I almost got arrested trying to shoot exteriors from the nearby, active Mansfield Prison. A big no-no (though no signs were posted as I tried to point out to the guard -- he wasn't impressed).

Rob McClure

On Mar 20, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Sonny Carter wrote:

I've been trying to think of some ways to show Natchitoches Spring flowers in context without too much landscape, so I thought I'd show you some stars from Steel Magnolias.   I was not yet back in Natchitoches in 1989 when Hollywood came in and took over the town.

They made sets from homes and built a soundstage at the University in a gym.

You remember that film, don't you?  It was the chick-flick of the decade.   Nominated for Oscars and won Golden Globe, all that stuff.  You can hardly surf cable TV without finding it playing on some channel.

There's even a carriage tour of the locations here.   That's where I'm going with this; a short tour of Steel Magnolia locations.   It ain't art, but might be pretty.

http://www.sonc.com/steel_magnolias.htm

--
Regards,

Sonny