Re: M8 time

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

It depends :-)
Here's what I'd consider:
1. There are only a couple of things the M8.2 offers that you can't upgrade an
M8 with: recock control, vulcanite-like covering, all black lettering and black
Leica dot.
2. If you don't care about these, you can upgrade an M8 with everything else:
quiet shutter, framelines, saphire LCD cover.

A new M8.2 comes with a 2 year warranty I believe. A used M8 comes with no
warranty. An upgrade to an M8 adds 1 year to the warranty IF the M8 is still
under warranty. Question is, if you buy used, can the warranty remaining on the
used M8, if any, be transferred. My GUESS is no.

So best case is to buy a demo M8 from a dealer (1 year warranty), wait until
close to the end of the warranty period and have the upgrades done IF this is
less than the cost of an M8.2 AND you don't need the things of an M8.2 that an
upgrade can't provide AND you can wait a year to do the upgrades AND the total
cost is less (significantly in my opinion) than an M8.2.

That's how I would approach the question, buy YMMV :-)
Good luck and remember, the only wrong decision is to not by an M8.x :-D
Best,
Bob

 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA