Re: Lowest-grain ISO 400 color film

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:47:34 -0500

<SNIP>
> I bought six 24-exposure rolls of Fuji Superia 400 X-TRA for *really
cheap*
> at Wolf camera and disliked the grainy results on the first roll. (That's
> aside from being so used to 36 exposures that I rip off 24 shots *really
> fast*.) Fuji ISO 100 Reala is too slow for handheld waterbird shots in
> early morning low light. This prompts several questions (well, maybe two):
>
> Did I get a bad roll or older emulsion - Is Superia 400 X-TRA less grainy
> ordinarily?

Mark, I've used Fuji Superia Xtra 400 with really good results.  I used to
habitually use Reala because of the great color palate and went to the
Superia Xtra when I needed more speed.  I understand that the Superia Xtra
has the 4th color layer just like Reala and I had good reaults with it.
Remarkably low grain.

I would suspect the processor.

JB