Lowest-grain ISO 400 color film

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:56:18 -0800

Lately I've been using Leica M cameras with 90mm APO-Summicron or 135mm APO-Telyt for bird closeups. While I'm looking at preening scaup, proud canvasbacks or diving grebes through the tripod-mounted 500mm f/4L on EOS 1D mk II I have the featherweight Leica M over one shoulder ready for closeup action (usually silly coot or gull tricks).

I bought six 24-exposure rolls of Fuji Superia 400 X-TRA for *really cheap* at Wolf camera and disliked the grainy results on the first roll. (That's aside from being so used to 36 exposures that I rip off 24 shots *really fast*.) Fuji ISO 100 Reala is too slow for handheld waterbird shots in early morning low light. This prompts several questions (well, maybe two):

Did I get a bad roll or older emulsion - Is Superia 400 X-TRA less grainy ordinarily?

I've liked Provia 400F for slides in the past. ****But which ISO 400 color *negative* film has lowest grain?****

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark Bohrer
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Invite nature inside with fine photographs of fountaining herons and other enchanting wildlife