Re: Japanese influence in the Bay Area

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:17:29 -0700

Ted:
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Below are a few notes:

At 11:02 AM 3/16/2007, you wrote:
Mark Bohrer asked:
Subject: Japanese influence in the Bay Area
All comments welcome.<<<

Hi Mark,
A few passing comments that must be taken without me shooting along side and
knowing the lay of the location so to speak.
Don't forget...... you asked!

I photographed the dedication ceremony for a Buddhist Zendo's new
meditation center in Mountain View, California a couple weeks ago.

Monks from Japan, the Pacific Northwest and San Francisco Zen Center took
their places beforehand:
http://tinyurl.com/2wwvz5<<<<<<<

It appears you bent down or kind of got down, but these Monks are still
below your camera position. My suggestion is......... you should've sat on
the floor or knelt so your camera line was directly in eye line with these
folks.

Stronger photo created being at eye level or even in more silhouette, your camera position more to the right.

** I wanted to capture the fans and bowing cloths in front of some of the Roshis, and a lower position would have obscured them. I also wanted the cushions, with their diagonal leading the eye to the altar.

Chitose Suzuki has a thoughtful moment:
http://tinyurl.com/2jg2hw<<<<

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on her reflection being partially in the
window. Where a slight movement in your camera position to the right as we
look at the scene and you probably could've seen her full face illustrating
a greater feeling of a thoughtful moment.

We're looking at too much of the back of her head in this shot.

** I had a choice of more of the back of her head with full face reflection, or a side view with her true face and no reflection. The moment lasted only a couple minutes before she moved. The other problem was the cooperative nature of the Japanese when there's a camera. As soon as they see you, they go into 'instant pose' mode and destroy whatever moment you wanted to catch.

A bell broke the silence to begin:
http://tinyurl.com/yqwffv

Before the ceremony, monks blessed different areas of the center with
incense in ancient Japanese tradition. As they walked, two women carpeted
their path with rose petals. The petal pitchers really got into it:
http://tinyurl.com/ysa7qg
http://tinyurl.com/yqwffv

It does appear the petal pitchers were co-operating with you, however the straight look at camera doesn't mean much. The second shot where they have thrown petals in the air you're loosing the petals against the trees in the back ground. Simple fix here given as they seem friendly.... Next time have them throw a bunch right at you and camera slightly elevated, then shoot when you have a mess of petals almost in your face.

** Makes sense.

Roshi Les Kaye blessed the altar:
http://tinyurl.com/2segn5 (A 90mm Tele-Elmar wide-open with Fuji NPZ
worked well)<<<<<<<<<

I don't suppose there was much you could do other than this shot.

** I couldn't shoot during the actual ceremony, and I couldn't change my position from the doorway once it started. So I was stuck with this.

At the reception afterwards, Hoitsu Suzuki-Roshi took a look at pictures
of the old Zendo and people in its history:
http://tinyurl.com/2uagr3 (A 50mm Noctilux / Fuji NPZ picture)<<<<<<<<

Again in this shot even if you bent your knees, you didn't bend them enough. A lower angle would've strengthened it. I know you wanted to show what he was looking at and the lower angle would've still worked.

** You're right, I could have been little lower for more intimacy in this shot. I was concerned about catching the moment before anyone moved. And I wanted to be sure I got what Suzuki pointed at, and Roshi Les Kaye's son standing at left.

No offence intended, just some comments as you asked. A few thoughts for the next time.

ted

** The good news is, the Roshi and members of the Kannon Do Sangha are delighted with the pictures. I will use your suggestions when I shoot the next event. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.