Re: Japanese influence in the Bay Area

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:02:14 -0700

Mark Bohrer asked:
Subject: Japanese influence in the Bay Area
All comments welcome.<<<

Hi Mark,
A few passing comments that must be taken without me shooting along side and
knowing the lay of the location so to speak.
Don't forget...... you asked!

I photographed the dedication ceremony for a Buddhist Zendo's new
meditation center in Mountain View, California a couple weeks ago.

Monks from Japan, the Pacific Northwest and San Francisco Zen Center took
their places beforehand:
http://tinyurl.com/2wwvz5<<<<<<<

It appears you bent down or kind of got down, but these Monks are still
below your camera position. My suggestion is......... you should've sat on
the floor or knelt so your camera line was directly in eye line with these
folks.

Stronger photo created being at eye level or even in more silhouette, your camera position more to the right.

Chitose Suzuki has a thoughtful moment:
http://tinyurl.com/2jg2hw<<<<

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on her reflection being partially in the
window. Where a slight movement in your camera position to the right as we
look at the scene and you probably could've seen her full face illustrating
a greater feeling of a thoughtful moment.

We're looking at too much of the back of her head in this shot.

A bell broke the silence to begin:
http://tinyurl.com/yqwffv

Before the ceremony, monks blessed different areas of the center with
incense in ancient Japanese tradition. As they walked, two women carpeted
their path with rose petals. The petal pitchers really got into it:
http://tinyurl.com/ysa7qg
http://tinyurl.com/yqwffv

It does appear the petal pitchers were co-operating with you, however the straight look at camera doesn't mean much. The second shot where they have thrown petals in the air you're loosing the petals against the trees in the back ground. Simple fix here given as they seem friendly.... Next time have them throw a bunch right at you and camera slightly elevated, then shoot when you have a mess of petals almost in your face.

Roshi Les Kaye blessed the altar:
http://tinyurl.com/2segn5 (A 90mm Tele-Elmar wide-open with Fuji NPZ
worked well)<<<<<<<<<

I don't suppose there was much you could do other than this shot.

At the reception afterwards, Hoitsu Suzuki-Roshi took a look at pictures
of the old Zendo and people in its history:
http://tinyurl.com/2uagr3 (A 50mm Noctilux / Fuji NPZ picture)<<<<<<<<

Again in this shot even if you bent your knees, you didn't bend them enough. A lower angle would've strengthened it. I know you wanted to show what he was looking at and the lower angle would've still worked.

No offence intended, just some comments as you asked. A few thoughts for the next time.

ted