IMG: RE: M8 time

  • From: "Geoff Hopkinson" <hoppyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:09:03 +1000

Ric, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Be prepared for an
absolute revelation in productivity and workflow as you fill your hard drive
with DNGs.

You need to make the dollars value assessment for yourself naturally. In my
opinion, if you think that you will want the extra features above the M8.0
you are better off buying the M8.2 rather than upgrading the original. I
presume that you have seen the list prices for the upgrades. If you can live
without the upgrades the cost difference is substantial. Don't get me wrong,
they would be nice to have but they are not essential and you get some of
them as the firmware upgrade.
On the lenses, my experience was that the 'crop factor' was much less of an
issue than I thought before actually using the camera. If you crave the look
that the 21 gives you on film, you can do worse than the Zeiss 18mm. See a
new shot of your Ent-Wife from this morning here, shot especially for you.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/103466373>
http://tinyurl.com/3pzsng
Just accept that there is an adjustment and you will have some pleasurable
surprises regarding the usefulness of the lenses you have already. You might
even find that the 'crop factor' brings some extra compositional discipline.
Buy and you'll never look back.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e