Re: IMG: Goose down by the canal/Image 5484

  • From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:04:37 +0200

Douglas,

Despite the fact that I just finished dinner, I got hungry again reading this description. Like everything else, the kind of food you mention is not at all bad for you if enjoyed in moderation. Eisbein is one of my favourite dishes, and I normally get to eat it once or twice a year.

Nathan

Douglas Sharp wrote:
Hello, Jim
it's called "Zum Fuchsbau" (The Fox's Den) in Geibelstrasse in Southern part of Hannover's centre. Although it was only taken a couple of weeks ago, they still haven't got around to taking down the Christmas decorations.

It does mainly very high-fat/high-calorie food with a menu ranging from North German Grünkohl - which is Curly Kale boiled with belly pork, smoked boned pork chops and sausage - in the winter season to Asparagus in Spring (one of the lighter dishes), to Bavarian Eisbein and Haxe (Pork knuckle and haunch, boiled or grilled ), and Austro-Hungarian and Czech dishes (from the time of the Emperors) like Palatschinken, Powidl Suppen, and what I usually eat, their Fiaker Topf, which is pieces of pork, beef and chicken baked in a copper pot with mixed vegetables in a Bechamel sauce and served with Bratkartoffel (slices of potato fried with finely cubed smoked ham and chopped onions).

They have pretty good beers too - Köstritzer Schwarzbier from what used to be East Germany, a truly black and slightly bitter beer, but nothing at all like Guinness, Austrian beers like Gösser and various Pilsener beers. They have plenty of German, Austrian , Eastern European and Balkan wines most of which which are either too sweet for my tastes or are akin to attempted suicide. To (at least they say it does) counter the kilos of fat you've just eaten there's also a wide range of Schnäpse (Plural of Schnapps) often in the form of Obstbrände like Slivovitsch, Williams pear and Raspberry flavoured (Himbeergeist) to name but a few.

It's one of the oldest Gaststätten (which roughly means a kind of restaurant where they don't mind at all if you just go in and drink lots of beer and play cards without ordering any food) in Hannover, and was even there before WWII.
Thanks for taking a look
Douglas

BTW, around Christmas they also do stuffed roast goose with red cabbage and dumplings - I can recommend a good cardiologist not far from the place. :-)

Jim Brick wrote:
At 04:39 PM 3/25/2007 +0200, Douglas Sharp wrote:
Hello all,
This afternoon's walk along the canal bank in the spring sunshine.
This bird was grazing beside the path, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a Grey Lag Goose.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/Goose.jpg.html
Have nice what's left of the weekend
Cheers
Douglas

Of your photos that popped-up with the goose, I 'really like'

_MG_5484_edited-1

Can you tell me where this is, name of the restaurant/pub/whatever it is, etc.

Thanks,

:-)

Jim

Nathan Wajsman