Re: Black and White

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:51:48 -0700

I prefer your color versions. You clearly were aware of the color as you shot the photos and these are nice photos.

That said, I generally favor black and white. I find color distracts from mood and rarely looks "realistic" to me anyway.

In fact I find black and white more closely mirrors the "real world"; the tones being closer to real tones than the color being close to real color.

Color may be important in the culture you are photographing and is nice to include it, if that's the way you see.

However, I see lots of black and white these days that is clearly color photography with the color taken away. The compositions are weak compared with photography shot as black and white from the start.

I prefer color shot as color and black and white shot as black and white.

On Oct 11, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

PAWs:

I usually think of Guatemala in color, but somebody said that this series might be better in black and white so I've posted it both ways.
I'd really like to know which you prefer and why.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/san_pablo_bw

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP http://www.tinamanley.com