[LCT] Re: Question about semantic gravity and density in writing

  • From: Paul Curzon <p.curzon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:29:36 +0100

It depends completely on your problem and research question. I think thinking about the appropriate granularity is important and one way is to start broad and see what you get then narrow downs. ANother is to do a pass first to explore the level where there is interesting meaning with respect to the research question.

Ive done it on lesson plans and lessons. Then I started just with the course steps of the lesson plan just looking at whether they were waves overall. That was useful. In some things I realised that I was missing some interesting detail of the way I intended there and was enacting waves within waves, so I went more fine grained down to smaller steps. I think that is a useful approach.

Ive used LCT autonomy (same issue applies) to analyse some of my own writing (a chapter in a magic book) and to start I have just looked at the section level. That gives me an overview (that is interesting) but again it was clear I was missing some interesting detail when I did it so next Im going to go down deeper and finer grain. I probably wont go down to sentence level just some rough interesting version of paragraph level of sentences but more likely starting at paragraphs or groups of sentences that change in length.

You have a similar thing in text analysis (eg doing thematic analysis) and natural language processing generally. DOing thematic analysis on transcripts Ive done it at a paragraph level initially, but really what you need to do is do a pass over it first to decide what is the interesting unit of analysis. In some places where the paragraphs have detail Ive switched to sentences for those parts. Go too fine at the outset and you miss the interesting overall meaning. DOnt go fine enough and likewise depending on the data, but you can be pragmatic and decide as you analyse each chunk.

In NLP different research looks at different levels too and some goes down even below word (when it is spoken) to utterances include breaks in words, ums and ers and pauses but thats only when they are interested in what they mean and contribute. It is the same here - I imagine you would only go down to word level if your interest was really about precise words chosen not courser ones. If the thing you are looking at changes in gravity / semantics every sentence then sentence level may be appropriate. If multiple sentences about one thing are all using similar level terminology and context then no need even to go down to sentences. That is why doing a pass to get a feel for the data and make the decision may be the way forward.

Paul

On 06/04/2024 21:44, jory Good wrote:

You don't often get email from jory90@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>

Hello everyone
I'm a new member and forgive me for sending this question. I've a simple question about semantic gravity and density in writing. Should we focus during analysis on sentences OR words/technical vocabulary? This is not clear to me, and I wish I could find simple examples to start with.

Many thanks in advance,
Jory