[lastexodus] Re: Rebellion

  • From: "William A. Peterson" <WillyPete@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lastexodus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:59:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnson, Anna" <AJohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lastexodus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 8:38 AM
Subject: [lastexodus] Rebellion

> The 'Taiping Rebellion', which is exquisitely detailed in the book "God's
> Chinese Son", resulted in more casualties than World War I and World War
II
> combined, and all within a matter of a handful of years.

            Thanks!

>Hong, who believed he was Christ's younger brother,

            and, in a "Last Exodus" universe, he might well have been...

>was a native southerner

            Really?  Georgia?  Florida?  {You're not one of those trying to
tell me that there's someplace in the world outside of the United States,
are you?}   :->

>inspired by missionaries and 'Manchu' oppression to lead an uprising which
would result
> in Heaven on Earth. The result, sadly, was nothing of the sort - the sort
of
> horror that lead to unbelievable slaughter.

            Which, I think, we can lay more at the hands of General Tso,
than the rebels, though I presume there was a good deal of bloodletting on
both sides...

>I highly recommend the book.

            Cool!  Anyone else have any 'historical tidbits' that might
enrich "The Last Exodus"?

> Anna J. Johnson
> Mystif & Scrat Inscrutable
> Illegitimi non carborundum!

                Hear!  Hear!  It might not be Latin, but it's great advice,
nonetheless...

Good Luck,
William A. Peterson
willypete@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"In the end, after having exhausted all other possible
options, you can trust that the Americans will do the right
thing." - Winston Churchill