[lastexodus] Rebellion

  • From: "Johnson, Anna" <AJohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lastexodus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lastexodus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:38:52 -0400

The 'Taiping Rebellion', which is exquisitely detailed in the book "God's
Chinese Son", resulted in more casualties than World War I and World War II
combined, and all within a matter of a handful of years. Hong, who believed
he was Christ's younger brother, was a native southerner inspired by
missionaries and 'Manchu' oppression to lead an uprising which would result
in Heaven on Earth. The result, sadly, was nothing of the sort - the sort of
horror that lead to unbelievable slaughter. I highly recommend the book.

Anna J. Johnson
Mystif & Scrat Inscrutable
Illegitimi non carborundum!