[LandXML] Re: Versioning

  • From: "Nathan Crews" <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Peter_Kistler@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:26:21 -0600

Hi Peter,

Yes, the online LandXML documentation does get updated, but LandXML-1.0 as
of July 17 2002 has not changed. Yes, we did update the schema using the
same 1.0 until we agreed to stop and publish a set version 1.0. Now that we
have a 1.0 starting point, I can assure you the next version will not be
1.0, but 1.x or 2.0.

I think the concept of major and minor version numbers is very good and you
may be pleased to know that the draft version of the next version of LandXML
is 1.1. As it indicates, there are minor changes/additions to attributes,
but does not contain any renamed elements or other items that would wreck a
programmers day.

The latest draft can be found at
www.landxml.org/schema/landxml-1.1/landxml-1.1.xsd

This draft contains proposes changes that have been requested and discussed
since last July 2002.

As it turns out version numbers, XML and XSLT are so very touchy and we do
need to be careful how versioning is treated. We must continue to change the
version number if the schema changes at all (no more of the previous
version-date method).

I think your point and experiences supporting LandXML are familiar to many
of us; who also get problem files containing elements that we do not support
at all or do not support correctly.

Thanks for the rants and persistance...

Regards,

Nathan Crews