[LandXML] Versioning

  • From: "Peter Kistler" <Peter_Kistler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:16:19 -0600

Hello all,

Its been a year since I last brought the issue of versioning to the =
table.  Well its time again.  I'm sure most people are in the same =
situation that I am.  I usually on get a few weeks, if I'm lucky, out of =
the year to update the LandXML component of our software with the latest =
changes.  This usually coincides with receiving a LandXML file that we =
don't fully support.  So I look at the file in a text viewer to see the =
version number (always version 1.0).  Step 2, go the web site to see if =
there is an update, web site still reports Version 1.0.  Step 3, check =
the "Change Notes" to see what's been added, last updated June 2002.  =
Step 4, do a properties on the "Online Documentation" page to see when =
it was last changed, today the file date is "July 2, 2003".  Steps 5-??: =
Look at the file in XMLSpy, Step through the file in the debugger, Pray =
to Bill Gates for divine intervention, ...  Once I do find the offending =
/ unsupported element, I then have to figure if there are any =
differences between the version in the file and version on the web =
site...

The ranting is over.  I would like to propose that versioning following =
Major.Minor.Intermediate scheme.  A major version would occur any time =
there are X number of new elements added or modified.  A minor change =
would be a few new elements added or a fundamental change in an existing =
element, e.g. changing from "N E Z" to "X Y Z" coordinate definition.  =
Intermediate would entail the addition of an attribute or element to an =
existing element.

I would like to thank Nathan and his group for all the time and effort =
they have put into LandXML to make it work.  I know that this has been a =
major undertaking, and I cringe to think if we had to do this with a DXF =
file.

Regards,
Peter

Peter Kistler