[LandXML] Re: LandXML attribute consistency

  • From: nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: KMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:03:34 -0700

You can differentiate the existance of design data by using the optional
'state' attribute on most LandXML elements.

For example:
<CgPoints name="Existing Topo" state="existing">
        <CgPoint name="1" desc="CP 1" code="70">10000 10000 1000</CgPoint>
        <CgPoint name="2" desc="CP 2" code="70">9928.16 8425.81
1027.423</CgPoint>
</CgPoints>

<CgPoints name="Existing Topo" state="proposed">
<CgPoint name="10" desc="CL 1" code="70">10000 10000 1000</CgPoint>
<CgPoint name="12" desc="CL 2" code="70">9928.16 8425.81 1027.423</CgPoint>
</CgPoints>

or

<Surface name="existing" desc="existing ground" state="existing">
<SourceData>
        <Breaklines>
        <Breakline brkType="standard" name="Breakline Feature1" desc="">
<...>
</SourceData>
</Surface>

Where the two CgPoints collection contain existing or proposed data. Almost all
LandXML elements support the state attribute.

Also for incorporating external file reference use the <Feature> element. It
contains a file reference scheme.

External File References Provided by the LandXML Schema:

A simple alternative to external file linking has been provided in the LandXML
schema for specific elements. These optional LandXML elements refer to larger
source data files used to create the LandXML data elements.

Example:
<.>
<Surfaces>
<Surface name="EG" desc="Existing Ground">
        <.>
<SourceData>
<PointFiles>
<PointFile>d:\\projects\\cityofmoosehead\\1020Points.xml</PointFile>
<PointFile>http://data.rosecounty.st.me.us/planning/50gridtopopoint.asp?city=moosehead
</PointFile>
</PointFiles>
</SourceData>
<.>
</Surface>
</Surfaces>

This example shows two types of external references, one is a XML document
located on the local file system and the second is a XML stream generated by
the specified URL. Both types of reference return LandXML data containing
surface point <P> elements.

The <Feature>.<DocFileRef> element is contained within the common <Feature>
element. Using this element,  it is easy to associate external data, such as
raw data files, drawing files, project files, legal documents or even web data
references such as links to DEM and other surface data, to specific elements.

Hope this helps...

Nathan Crews
www.landmxl.org