[laffs] Re: Merry Christmas!

  • From: "Ron and/or Linda" <ronlinda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <laffs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:26:01 -0600

Gene .. Thought you and your crew would enjoy this "Make My Day" story...
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas .. Ron Reynolds

According to a Marine Pilot, in addition to communicating with the local Air
Traffic Control facility, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf Area Of
Responsibility (AOR) are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar
(military) a ten minute "heads-up" if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them a
call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, point of origin, and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the radio (VHF Guard
{emergency} frequency 121.5 MHz) while he was flying from Europe to Dubai .
It's too good not to pass along.

The conversation went something like this . . .

     Iranian Air Defense Radar:  "Unknown aircraft at (location unknown),
you are in Iranian airspace.  Identify yourself."

     Aircraft:  "This is a United States aircraft.  I am in Iraqi airspace."

     Iranian Air Defense Radar:  "You are in Iranian airspace.  If you do
not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!"

     Aircraft:  "This is a United States Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornet.  Send
'em up, I'll wait!"

     Iranian Air Defense Radar: (no response . total silence)

Semper Fidelis