Re: X5D via USB Port?

  • From: Bill Gallagher <ks3y@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:40:47 -0800 (PST)

 Hello, All!

I seem to hear this question a lot!

This is the interface that I use (on the mac and the windows laptop). It
happily connect my 05R/W, a VFX/sd, my cheesy yet velocity-sensitive
controller, and my effects rack chain. I probably should have gotten an
eight-port job!

I think I paid about $140 for it...
Bill G.
USB MIDISPORT 4x4

---------------------------------

Multiplatform USB MIDI Interface
(msc: $199.95)

Plug and Play.
The best-selling MIDISPORT 4x4 is a four-in, four-out, USB Midi interface for
Windows and Macintosh. The 4x4 is perfect for connecting multiple midi devices
both together, and to your computer. Since it is parasitically-powered by the
USB port, the 4x4 is an excellent choice for both studio and portable use.

Upward Mobility.
Run out of midiports? It's easy to add more to your system. You can add as many
USB Midisport interfaces to your computer as you have USB ports.

What is USB?
USB (Universal Serial Bus) is a standard interface port on desktop and laptop
computers. Nearly all recent computers provide USB ports, both Windows and
Macintosh computers. USB supports the connection of up to 127 devices
simultaneously, any of which may be plugged into or unplugged from the USB bus
at any time -- even with the power on! Whats more, it is the perfect solution
for portable users, as all recent laptops also offer USB ports. Everything
remains external to the computer and therefore no computer disassembly is
required.

Features:
? 4-in 4-out MIDI Interface (64x64 MIDI channels).
? High-speed connection to USB-equipped PC or Apple computers.
? MIDI-activity indicators for each port.
? Self-powered -- requires no external power supply.
? Comes with 6' USB cable.
? Includes OMS drivers for Mac OS 9 and above on CD.
? Windows 98 compatible -- true Plug-and-Play installation
requires no IRQ, I/O Address or DMA channel setup.
? Compact size.
? Lifetime Warranty.

Requirements:
? PC: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME
? Macintosh: MacOS 9 or later, OMS 2.3.7 or OMS 2.3.8

  Thomas Anderssen <thomas.anderssen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi mr. Alvarez.

As far as I know, there is no way to use USB for midi directly. There
might be some USB-to-MIDI gadgets out there, but I am not aware of
such. Easiest way for you is probably a MOTU parallel to MIDI
interface, since the serial driver (Korgs at least) do not work on
PCMCIA serial interfaces (which is one way for you to get a RS232-
port on your laptop) or USB->RS232 interfaces (which is the other,
more expensive way).

cheers, Thomas

On 27 Nov 2001 at 20:44, Al Alvarez wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anybody know how to connect mi X5D to a new lap
> top that doesn't has a 9 pin male, or serial port, do
> you know if is there another option or port?, is it
> possible to use USB port?
> thanks in advance.
>
> Hola a todos,
> Alguno de ustedes sabe como conectar el X5D a una lap
> top nueva que no tiene puerto serial de 9 pines? ni
> puerto serial?, existe la opcion de conectarlo a algun
> otro puerto? puede ser en el puerto serial
> Al Alvarez, Mexico

Thomas Anderssen
Jakobstad Energy Utility (www.jpenergy.net)
Victor Schaumansesplanaden 1