Re: X5 Questions

  • From: "Gary & Margy Mott" <gmmutt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:30:53 -0800

You can build your own splits, layers,etc, but creating combinations.  Out
of the 99 combis I only have about 40 assigned, the rest are all blank
waiting for me to make up a new combi.  First you go thru the A bank and G
bank and decide which sounds you want to use.  Say you have a piano sound
(assinged to A00) and an upright bass sound (A47) you want to set up as a
split.  Pick an empty combination, or one you don't mind overwriting.  Hit
the edit button, then start making the changes.  Delete the sounds the combi
has listed under programs (00A page).  remember that there can be up to 8
sounds in a combi.  After you delete the old sounds, add whatever
combination of A00 and A47 you want, Maybe two of each on programs 1 - 4.
Then decide the volume levels for the sounds 01A, the bottom and top notes
for the split (03A-D), if you need to transpose any of the sounds to fit how
you set up the split (05A) and whatever effects you want (09 - 12).  When
you're done, go to page 15B and give it a name, then go back to 15A, select
comb write and hit the up button to select OK. "Are you sure?" hit the up
button again to confirm.  That's it.  Once you do a few, it gets easier.  If
you stay with the basic effects (Hall, room, etc) that are on the original
sounds, it's pretty easy, but if you throw in like a rotary organ effect you
have to get into some other variables in the placement, effects, etc, to get
the effects the same as they are on your original sounds.    But doing this,
you can layer several sounds, set up the keyboard to do several splits
(though 2 is usually the norm) and make up some really cool combis.
Just keep playing with it.  Oh, by the way, if you don't have one, get a
sound editor/librarian program so you can save your original sounds and
combis, then mix and match other program and combi files to interchange at
will.

Hope this helps.

mutt