RE: How to setup Cakewalk to work with the X5

  • From: "Willem de Waal" <wdewaal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:01:29 +0200

Hi all!

James=20

I think G got it all- I'd just like to add one or two things (from a
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 perspective)

* You need to define your MIDI Port(s): From Options -> Midi Devices,
define your input & output ports. These will usually be on your external
sound card, or an MPU interface, or the like.

* Yes - As G mentioned, you have to "define" your instruments first. Do
this from the Options -> Instruments menu. When you open it, it lists 16
tracks for each port installed. On the right, it lists "instrument
definitions" for a number of popular modules & keyboards. If yours does
not appear, click on "Define" and then "Import". (The definition files
are very small, and can be found on a number of web sites - Cakewalk.com
& Korgi Park would be good places to start!)

*Once Cakewalk knows which instrument(s) you will be using, and which
midi ports have been defined, you're all set, and you can follow the
instructions as described by G. Oh - one more thing. On the later
versions of Cakewalk, you have to "arm" a track for recording, or else
no recording will take place. On each track, Cakewalk shows three
block-buttons: "M" (Mute); "S" (Solo) and "R" (Record). Click on the "R"
button, so that it is highlighted - this arms the track for recording.
You can arm as many tracks as you like - but everything you play will be
recorded to EACH of the armed tracks, even if they are assigned to
different MIDI channels. If no tracks are armed, the global" Record"
button is disabled.

That's it - I hope I got it right (I'm at work, and don't have Cakewalk
in front of me!)

Cheers & Beers

Willem
Richards Bay, South Africa.