RE: Alive and breathing, but barely ;-)

  • From: "Thomas Anderssen" <thomas.anderssen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:41:03 +0200

On 29 Nov 2001 at 8:29, Willem de Waal wrote:

> Thomas Anderssen wrote:
>
> -------
> You can use sounds from the G bank and the A bank simultaneously, but
> there are some gotchas in the bank switching; in CW bank 0 represents
> the  A-bank and the bank number for the GM bank in is 7169 This thingy
> took me a loooong time to figure out... it is printed in v-e-r-y
> small print somewhere in the manual....
> -------
>
> Thomas - you are SO right! Took forever to figure this out! Also found
> that my drum banks had their own number as well! Not sure - was it 7936?

Yep, I reckon it was... And if you edit them as control codes, (hex) they
would be:
G-bank: 32 00 56 01 xx
A-bank: 32 00 00 00 xx
Drums: 32 62 00 00 xx

where the first and third bytes are the controllers MSB and LSB, the
second and fourth byte is the bank number in hex (calculated in a
strange way since the Korg processor is a "high-endian" (hackerish tech-
speak) and the fifth byte is the patch number... In the drum bank the
drumsets do not come in any order; 1 is GM-drums, 8 is something else, 16,
24, 32,33 and so on... no real order! But it's all in the manual - which is NOT
user-friendly!

BTW the patch change should be set to ENA on the X5 global page 2(?)
for this to work... DIS disables patch change, NUM does not reckon bank
changes, and PRG .... Well have forgotten. i use only ENA (for my own
music) and NUM if I play midis from other instruments.

more 2 cents...
cheers, Thomas

A-bank